- 200g/7oz shortcrust pastry
- 205g/7¼oz evaporated milk
- 200g/7oz dark muscovado sugar
- Bakeware Recommended
- Quiche Tin
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 5. Lightly dust a work surface and lay out the pastry. Using a rolling pin, roll it out so that it’s just larger than a 23cm/9in quiche or flan tin. Lay the pastry over the tin and press the sides down and into the edges. Roll the pin over the pastry for a scalloped edge. Prick the pastry a few times with a fork. Line with baking parchment and cover with baking beans or rice. Rest in the freezer for 10 minutes until the pastry is hard.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the pastry edge is beginning to turn golden. Remove the baking parchment and beans, and return the pastry to the oven for another 5 minutes until it begins to colour.
- Meanwhile, put the evaporated milk and sugar in a bowl. Using a hand-held or electric whisk, beat for 15 minutes. Don’t stint on this. Pour the mix into the pastry case. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the surface is set and there are a few bubbles on the surface. It will continue to set as it cools. Leave to cool in the tin.
- Serve on its own or with cream