The best roast chicken recipe
What more can we say… succulent roast chicken with crispy skin and juicy meat warms the heart and soothes the soul.
Write a review
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, roughly chopped
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon
- Free range chicken if your purse allows
- Bakeware Recommended
- Extra Large Roaster
- Remove the chicken out of the fridge around half an hour before it goes into the oven. Preheat the oven to 240°C/475°F/gas 9. There’s no need to peel the vegetables – just give them a wash and roughly chop them.
- Place the vegetables into a large roasting tray and drizzle with olive oil. Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper, rubbing it all over the bird. Put the lemon inside the chicken’s cavity, with the bunch of herbs.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables in the roasting tray and put it into the preheated oven. Turn the heat down immediately to 200°C/400°F/gas 6 and cook the chicken for 1 hour and 20 minutes. If you’re doing roast potatoes and veggies, this is the time to crack on with them – get them into the oven for the last 45 minutes of cooking.
- Baste the chicken halfway through cooking and if the vegetables look dry, add a splash of water to the tray to stop them burning. When cooked, take the tray out of the oven and transfer the chicken to a board to rest for 15 minutes or so. Cover it with a layer of tinfoil and a tea towel and put aside to rest while you start to make your gravy.
- When you carve your chicken, add any extra juices to the gravy.
- Enjoy your roast chicken with your lovely roast potatoes and vegetables. Accompany with stuffing, bread sauce or even English mustard.